Whether or not you are trying to lose weight or even simply maintain it, it can be very difficult to not just look in the mirror and give up. Progress is so slow, and you feel like you will never get past this plateau you’re on. However, in order to lose or stop gaining weight, you need to realize what is the root cause of your weight gain and learn how to conquer your specific problem.
The following are all typical and common reasons that you could be gaining weight. If you want to lose weight, decide which one best fits your circumstance. You may want to acknowledge that it could be a combination of factors as well.
- Diet and Exercise. The common beast, diet and exercise are something you need to be watching no matter what, as they will affect all your general health.
- Smoking and Alcohol. Smoking, alcohol, and other drugs mess up your hormones and wreak havoc on your body, especially when it comes to weight.
- If your medication is causing you to gain weight, you have a choice to make: stop taking the medication or gain a lot of weight. Ask your doctor if there is a similar medication you could take that wouldn’t be accompanied by this terrible side effect.
- Rest and relaxation are not always the answer, but often they are if stress is reaching unhealthy levels in your life and leading to weight gain.
- Hormonal Imbalances. Much more common than people realize are the hormonal imbalances found in many women and men who don’t even realize that they are suffering from them. Whether you are a woman suffering from Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome who struggles with infertility and weight gain or a male cancer survivor with hypothyroidism, uneven hormone levels could be “helping” you keep all this extra weight on.
Genetics. Between conditions like diabetes and a slow metabolism, it is hard to lose weight when you are genetically determined to be a certain shape and size. Luckily, even a predisposition does not have to be permanent, and you can beat your genes.